We have special permanent exhibits within the Inn itself- some of them are unique within the West Coast...that includes a massive display of rare and still functioning pristine gramophones. And the most amazing jewelry exhibit on the West Coast- Victorian style. Come see what lies within our HIstoric Inn....
The original Stagecoach Inn, called the Grand Union Hotel, was built in 1876 at the southwest corner of what is now Ventu Park Road and the Ventura Freeway. The Grand Union Hotel was the first commercial use building to be erected in the Conejo Valley.
The Grand Union Hotel, also called El Hotel Grande,The Conejo Hotel, and the Stagecoach Inn, has had a variety of uses during its existence. It has served as post office, tearoom, boys’ military school, restaurant, and exclusive gift shop. A cowboy movie starringHoot Gibson and Sally Eilers was filmed here in the 1930's. Moviesbeing filmed in and around the Conejo Valley became a regular occurrence.
In April of 1970, a fire of undetermined origin completely destroyed the museum and most of its contents. It was rebuilt to appear as it did when it was first constructed.
From antique furniture, dolls, toys, and memorabilia, to the magnificent music room collection, the Stagecoach Inn has something of interest for everyone.
In 1877, when Conejo School was built, it was for all the children in the valley. Ten years later it was determined that there was a need for another school in the western end of the valley as more children had moved into the area.
Initially there was an enrollment of 22 pupils. When the building was completed 1889, the class size was increased by an additional 20 children.
The building was a one-room schoolhouse with two tiny anterooms which were used as cloakrooms. It had blackboards, desks, an organ, a mirror, a broom and dustpan, a shovel, and a coal oil lamp. Each child provided his own slate. The building was heated by a wood stove. There were two outhouses behind the building.
The Tri-Village Exhibit was developed in 1976 as a reminder of the Bicentennial by the Conejo Valley Bicentennial-Centennial Commission.
Located in the Anderson Hall which is located in the basement of the Stagecoach Inn Museum building, is extensive in its collection of replicated and archeological artifacts of the Chumash.
The onsite village has a full size dwelling called Ap were large, dome-shaped homes that were made of willow branches and tules. Whalebone was used for reinforcing. The interior rooms were partitioned for privacy by hanging reed mats from the ceiling. With platform beds built above the ground, the Chumash used the area under the platforms to store personal belongings.
Nearby there is a bedrock mortar, a fossil dig, and a ceremonial fire ring blessed by the Chumash.
Carriage House and Blacksmith Shop
Adjacent to the Inn is the Carriage house and Blacksmith Shopwhere the stagecoaches are kept and brought out for special occasions.
Gramophone Music Room
Located upstairs in the Stagecoach Inn Museum building.
In 18th- and 19th-century Europe and America, a lock of hair was a treasured memento, signifying love, affection, and friendship. Jewelry fashioned to hold hair was worn to mourn or commemorate a deceased person, or it could be exchanged between two people as a one- of-a-kind sentimental reminder of a loving relationship. The practice of creating a keepsake from the hair of a loved one was so widespread by Victorian times, that it would have been difficult to find a home without hair art on the wall or items of personal adornment made from hair.